Minor lights in Sound of Mull
Besides the five major lights, there are three minor lights in the sound of Mull, as well as a number of lit beacons or lit buoys marking the many rocks, shoals and islets that are scattered along its length. The minor lights are:
Click on images to enlarge
Glas Eileanan Lighthouse (Grey Rocks) lies on the small islets off Rubha an Redire headland in the middle of the Sound of Mull. The light is a modern aluminium clad skeletal tower placed on the island in 2001 when many of the minor lights in the region were modernised.
Character: Flashing White every 3 seconds. Focal plane: 6 metres. Range: 5 nautical miles. Position: 56 29.8 N 005 42.7 W.
Ardtornish Point Lighthouse was established by David Stevenson in 1927 as a cast iron octagonal tower on Ardtornish point, a headland jutting out into the Sound of Mull from Morvern. However, in 2001 this was replaced by a skeletal tower clad with white aluminium panels. The solar powered light is a sectored light showing two flashes every 10 seconds, either, red, green or white depending on the direction of approach.
Character: A Sectored light. Two flashes Red, Green or White every 10 seconds. Ranges: White 8 nautical miles; Red and Green 5 nautical miles. Position: 56 31.09 N 005 45.21 W.
Green Islands (Eileannan Glasa)Lighthouse was first established in 1906, but in 2001 a tower similar to Ardtornish Point lighthouse was erected on the site. To distinguish it from Ardtornish it has a white light flashing every 6 seconds. The light is on a rock known as Dearg Sgear, the northernmost of the Eileannan Glasa, which are in the middle of the Sound of Mull about two nautical miles north east of Salen.
Character: Flashing White every 6 seconds. Focal Plane: 11 metres. Range: 6 nautical miles. Position: 56 32.3N 005 54.7W.