Sir William Black Memorial Lighthouse
Click on image to enlarge
This Lighthouse is also sometimes known as Duart Point Lighthouse. It is situated just along the east coast of Mull from Duart Castle at the easternmost point of the island. The automatic, solar-powered light is on the top of a small castellated gothic tower built of granite. The lighthouse was built in 1900 as memorial to the Scottish novelist, William Black (1841-1898). It was placed at his favourite spot by a group of his friends who commissioned the Edinburgh architect, Sir William Lieper, to design it.
Three Flashes every 18 seconds, Sectored Red/White
Focal Plane: 14 metres
Ranges: Red 3 nautical miles; White 5 nautical miles. Note: Red sector covers Lady’s Rock
Position: 56 26.8 N 005 38.76 W