Lighthouses of Mull
From the mariner’s point of view, the seas around the Isle of Mull are well served by aids to navigation with major lighthouses, minor lights, beacons, and a number of buoys.
Sound of Mull
There are five major lights in the Sound of Mull. At its north-western end, as it broadens out to join with Loch Sunart and the Sea of the Hebrides, there are two lighthouses on Mull’s north-west shore:
Click on Images to enlarge
Rubha nan Gall Lighthouse is a traditional lighthouse designed by Thomas and David Stevenson. Read more
Ardmore Point Lighthouse was established in 1958, but is now a modern aluminium and glass fibre structure similar to Ardtornish lighthouse and was placed on the point in 2003.
Flashing two white every 10 seconds. Focal plane: 17 metres. Range: 8 nautical miles. Position: 56.39.4 N 006 07.6 W.
At the south-east entrance to the Sound, where Loch Linnhe joins it, there are a further three major lighthouses:
Lismore lighthouse at the entrance to the Sound is not on Lismore as the name suggests, but on Eilean Musdile, separated from the main island by a small channel. Read more
Lady’s Rock Light is located on a rock, submerged at high tide, one nautical mile due east of Duart Point. Read more
Sir William Black Memorial Lighthouse is also sometimes known as Duart Point Lighthouse. Read more
Besides the five major lights, there are three minor lights in the sound of Mull, as well as a number of lit beacons or lit buoys marking the many rocks, shoals and islets that are scattered along its length.
Ross Of Mull
On an islet south east of Bunessan lies the Eilean nan Liathanaich Light, which is visible in clear weather from Bunessan foreshore.
Lighthouses and Shore base historically connected with Mull
The Island of Erraid (Eilean Earraid), off the Ross of Mull, is the site of Erraid Lighthouse Shore Station, a disused signal station for the lighthouses on Dubh Artach and Skerryvore and of a row of cottages built for the lighthouse keepers. The island was owned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, but ceased to be used in 1952. It is now privately owned and is home to an international community, part of the Findhorn Foundation, a Scottish charitable trust formed by the spiritual community at the Findhorn Ecovillage.